Born – 1 April 1940
Father – Gopal Chandra Sarma; Mother – Praneswari Devi
Village – Heramjar, District – Kamrup (Undivided, now Nalbari), Assam
- 188, Chapra Primary School, Chapra (Adjacent to Heramjar)
- Digheli Minor School, Digheli (1.5 Kms. away from Heramjar)
- Tihu High School (4 Kms. away from Heramjar), Matriculation , 1957
- I.Sc. Examination – Cotton College, Gauhati , 1959
- B.A.(Honours in English) – Cotton College, Gauhati, 1961
- M.A. (in English) – Gauhati University, 1965
- Ph.D. – Gauhati University, 1974 on the topic – Nationalism in Indo-Anglian Fiction under the supervision of Professor Amaresh Datta.
1) Served as Teacher in Arya Vidyapeeth Higher Secondary School, Guwahati from 1962 to 1963
2) Served as Lecturer in English in Arya Vidyapeeth College, Guwahati, from 1965 to 14July, 1969
3) Served as Lecturer in English and European Languages in the Department of Assamese, Gauhati University from 15 July 1969 to 14 July 1975
4) Served as Lecturer in the Department of English, Gauhati University from 15 July 1975 to 13 March 1981.
5) Served as Reader in English, Gauhati University from 14 March 1981 to 14 October 1990
6) Served as Professor of English, Gauhati University from 15 October 1990 to 31 March 2003
7) Appointed Head, Department of English of the same University from 4 Sepember, 1993 to 3 September 1996 and again from 27 February,1999 to 31 March, 2000.
8) Elected Dean, Faculty of Arts of the same University from 15 March, 1999 till 31 March 2000.
9) Retired from regular service in the University on 31 March, 2000 but re-employed as Professor in the same Department from 1 April, 2000 till final retirement on 31 March, 2003.
Various Non-teaching offices/Posts held in the University
- Member of the Gauhati University Court from 14.12.1995 to 13.12.1998
- Member of the Gauhati University Executive Council from 4.4.1996 to 3.4.1999.
- Member of the Health and Discipline Board from 16.5.1995 to 19.5.1997
- Member of the University Press Advisory Committee from 31.7.1996 to 30.7.1999.
Extra Services to other Bodies
K.K.Birla Foundation, New Delhi
Served in their Selection Committee for the prestigious annual All India Literary Award Saraswati Samman from 1991 to 2011
Sahitya Akademi, New Delhi – Served as Member of the Assamese Advisory Board from 2003 to 2007
Door Darshan, Guwahati – Outside Expert in the Evaluation Committee for Commissioned Programmes
North-east Forum for English Studies – Served as President for two terms
Vice-Chairman, Publication Board, Assam , 2015 to 2017.
Advisory Services and Expertise sought by various institutes and organizations like:
- Akashvani, Guwahati, Dibrugarh and Delhi
- Universities like NEHU, Shillong, Tezpur University,Tezpur, Assam University, Silchar, Rajiv Gandhi University, Itanagar
Marriage and Family:
Married on1December 1968 to Anjali Devi (born 16 December,1942), daughter of Lakshminath Sarma and Aparajita Devi of Old Amolapatty, Sibsagar town. Anjali Sarma was serving at that time as a lecturer in Assamese, Sibsagar Girls’ College. When the marriage was fixed by her parents, she moved over to Guwahati where she was appointed in Handique Girls’ College as a lecturer in Assamese. She retired as the Head of the Department of Assamese of the same college in December 2002. They have now settled in Bhagadattapur, Kahilipara, Guwahati. They have one son Atanu (born 1971), and one daughter Sagarika (born 1975). Atanu, a chemical engineering graduate of Assam Engineering College, Guwahati, had his higher education in Business Management outside Assam and now works as a senior executive in a multi-national Co. in Bengaluru. He is married to Anuradha Adhikari of Guwahati. An M.Sc.in Zoology, Anuradha Adhikari Sarma is in the Assam Civil Service. They have a daughter, Anwesha (born 2004). Sagarika who had a Master’s degree in English of Delhi University moved over on marriage to U.S.A. She had an M.S. degree in Student Affairs in Higher Education from Colorado State University, Fort Collins where she now works as an Education executive and teacher. Paban Kumar Sarma to whom she is married, is an Electronic engineer , MBA, who had his engineering education from Assam Engineering College, Guwahati and Management education from Calcutta. Paban after a span of service in a French multi-national Co. now works as a Director of IT in Larimer County Govt of Colorado. They have now settled in Fort Collins, U.S.A. with their daughter Anoushka (born 2002) and son Rishan (born 2014)
57, Bhagadattapur, Kahilipara
Guwahati 781019, Assam, India.
Phone: (M) 9854031676 ® (0361) 2380594; e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Awards, Honours &c.
- Asam Sahitya Sabha’s Mohan Chandra Sarma Award for thoughtful writing for the book, Jivani aru Asamiya Jivani (1986) in 1987
- Writer in Residency Honour of Sahitya Akademi, New Delhi in 2009.
- Assam Government Literary Pension from 2009.
- Jatindra Nath Borgohain Award by Journalists’ Association, Assam, 2016.
- Shashi Mohan Das Memorial Award, 2017 by Shashi Mohan Das Memorial Trust, Barpeta.